Thank you for your interest in joining the City of Vineland Fire Department (VFD). The Department is a diverse, full service emergency services provider that serves a growing community of more than 60,000 residents.
The VPD is a combination fire department comprised of both career and volunteer firefighters, who respond from six stations strategically located throughout the city. The 150 firefighters who staff the Department respond annually to nearly 2,000 calls including medical emergencies, vehicle accidents, hazardous material spills, water emergencies, fires, and more.
Are you prepared to consider a unique opportunity to contribute to your community? Answer the call, become a Firefighter
WHY SHOULD I JOIN?
The rewards vary from individual to individual. Here are just some of the benefits that members have noticed:
- Pride of serving.
- The opportunity and the ability to make a difference.
- Develop new skills and use your existing skills to help others.
- Explore new areas of interest.
- Get out of the house.
- Connect with and meet new people.
- State tax credits may be available.
HOW MUCH TRAINING IS REQUIRED?
- Firefighter 1 training is 120 hours and usually runs about five months (two evenings per week).
- Additional training is available upon completion in various areas such as motor vehicle rescue, ice rescue, trench rescue, high angle rescue, driver training, hazardous materials technician, and more.
- All training is provided at no cost to you!
WHAT DOES IT TAKE?
- Not as much as one may think. Help is needed in all areas of emergency services and no experience is necessary. All the costs associated with training are covered by the Fire Department.
- It certainly helps if you have a desire to help your community, your neighbors, and possibly your own family.
- It does take time to learn, train, and maintain the skills necessary to assist in emergency situations.
WHO CAN BECOME A MEMBER?
- Anyone 18 years of age or older can become a member. Help is needed in all areas of the Department. Most fire companies are responsible for their own fundraising, record-keeping, and the other normal business operations. All of these tasks are performed by the volunteer members of the individual fire company.
- The City of Vineland does have a Residency Ordinance No. 1291 which requires that the city appoint qualified residents first. However, the Ordinance does include provisions which allow the appointment of applicants with special skills and talents from outside the Vineland area.
- The City of Vineland Fire Department is an equal opportunity employer.